Principal Certification in Educational Leadership
(Administrative Level I)
In addition to Penn State Great Valley, the Principal Certification program
is also offered at the following locations.
Follow the above location links for details about information sessions and course details.
The Principal Certification in Educational Leadership (Administrative Level I) program prepares teachers and supervisors to take administrative positions and helps candidates meet Pennsylvania certification requirements in K-12 educational administration. An educator holding a valid Pennsylvania certificate as a K-12 Principal is qualified for the following positions:
- Assistant Principal
- Director of Pupil Services
- Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction
- Supervision of an instructional or pupil service area where 5 years of professional service while holding a certificate in that area can be documented by the superintendent
- Valid state-issued certificate related to education;
- Schedule an interview with the program adviser prior to submitting application materials;
- Submit all necessary forms, documentation, and fees.
- For information on how to apply, click here.
- 30 credits of course work (9 credits may be taken on a nondegree basis). To see the curriculum and course schedule, click here.
- By the completion of the program, you will need 5 years of professional school experience on a state-issued certificate.
- Qualifying score for the PRAXIS Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision test (code 10410).
- An e-Portfolio by completion of program.
Special Note: Up to three courses may be transferred into the program upon approval by the Educational Leadership department. Upon adviser approval, if you currently hold a M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis area in Instructional Leadership from Penn State University, up to five of your courses may transfer into the Principal Certification program. Please see your adviser for additional details.
Principal Certification course schedule
The Principal Certification Program offers courses in 7 week formats, one or two days a week, depending on the course. You may begin at the start of any session. Up to three courses may be transferred into the program upon approval by the Educational Leadership department.