History of The Pennsylvania State University and Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
The Pennsylvania State University
Established in 1855, Penn State is the Commonwealth's sole land-grant institution. Its mission is teaching, research, and public service/outreach. The University Park campus located in State College is Penn State's academic and administrative hub. There are 22 other campuses around the state with special missions offering a variety of degrees. Nine of every ten Pennsylvanians live within 30 miles of a Penn State campus.
Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
Established in 1963, Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies' mission addresses the expressed market needs of southeastern Pennsylvania through advanced education. Currently Penn State Great Valley offers degrees in:
We also offer Professional Development Courses leading to certification and career advancement.
Originally housed in a rented school building in King of Prussia, since 1988 Penn State Great Valley has been located in the Great Valley Corporate Center on Route 202's high-tech corridor in Malvern, PA. In 1993, additional acreage including a historic home was purchased to expand parking and administrative offices. In Fall, 2001, with a $3 million lead gift from Warren "Pete" Musser, the Penn State Great Valley Conference Center opened, which houses additional classroom and office space, as well as a 300 seat auditorium.
Since 1991 an Advisory Board, comprised of leaders from business and education, has influenced curriculum needs and services to the area. In 1998 the University Board of Trustees approved Penn State Great Valley as a distinct "School of Graduate Professional Studies."