How to request a Loan increase
Stafford Loan estimates at Penn State Great Valley are first listed in an amount to cover tuition and fees at Great Valley rates for the number of credits the student reports at time of loan request. If you need to increase the amount of your loan, you may request a loan increase. Graduate students can borrow up to $10,250 in a semester in the Stafford Loan program, with an academic year cap of $20,500.
Loan increase requests must be submitted in writing by e-mail and must be sent from the student’s Penn State webmail address.
If you have a loan estimate, which will cover your university charges, complete your registration before requesting a loan increase. If you need a loan increase in order to pay your University charges, request the loan increase as soon as possible before the beginning of the semester, and note on your request that you need the increase in order to confirm your registration.
To request additional Stafford Loan funds, send a written request from your Penn State webmail address to email@example.com.
In the subject line, write “Loan Increase Request.”
In the body of the e-mail, state your request by including:
- Your name
- Your 9-digit Penn State ID number
- The semester for which you seek a loan increase
- The total number of dollars you would like to borrow
- Jane Smith, PSU ID 999999999, requests a Stafford Loan increase for Spring 2012, for a total semester loan of $8550.00.
- Jane Smith, PSU ID 999999999, requests a Stafford Loan increase for Spring 2012. I would like the maximum amount allowable.
- Jane Smith, PSU ID 999999999, requests a Stafford Loan increase for Spring 2012. I would like the amount necessary to cover tuition and fees for 3 credits in Summer 2012.
After submitting your loan increase request, monitor your Student Aid Summary on eLion to assure that the increase in funds has been attributed to your student account. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not see an update within two weeks of submitting your original request.